Monday, April 20, 2009

San Antonio

My parents met me in San Antonio this past weekend for an early celebration of my birthday. We had lunch at the hotel we stayed at, the Omni Mansion, which is right on the riverwalk. It was built in 1854 and was originally St. Mary's Law School. Eventually, (and obviously) it was turned into the hotel it is now. After lunch, we walked to the Alamo. I had not been there since seventh grade which was in 1998. I remember going, but all I really remember is the outside of it, and seeing the doors that my great-great-great-uncle, Benjamin Rush Milam, went through and subsequently shot in the head at the Battle of San Antonio.


A little history... the Battle of San Antonio was the battle right before the Alamo. Ben Milam was the first out of the doors at this Battle, and so he did not know what was coming. Had he survived and made it to the Alamo, he would have been a lot more famous than he is. Having said that there is a county in Texas named after him, and a park named after him in San Antonio. Here are some of the pictures
Front of the Alamo
Back of the AlamoBenjamin Rush Milam
Brief description of how he was killed
Those who fought at the Alamo were reminded to honor Ben



My dad left Sunday morning, so my mom and I had the whole day to ourselves. We had breakfast on the Riverwalk, and then went to a cavern right outside the city. It was pretty neat. We went down 180 feet and back up. It was very hot and humid, but really pretty.

The last picture is at the very end where we climbed back up. It is hard to tell, but the bottom of the picture is about 102 feet below the surface.

That was pretty much my weekend. I dropped my mom off at the airport, and headed to Jourdanton. When I got there, I took a 3 hour nap. The caves wore me out! Did I mention I had a cold the whole weekend and could barely talk? It started out as a sore throat and dry cough. It gradually progressed to losing my voice, productive cough, sneezing, and as of today, a semi-runny nose. I can talk better now, but am still hoarse. I have lots of cough drops, I have been drinking tea, and lots of water, and I have been taking some medicine (syrup because I have learned that it absorbs quicker!)

I am finally about to go to bed. It took forever to load these pictures!!! Have a great rest of the week!

2 comments:

Allen Skipper said...

Glad to see another Christian on here.

Cindi said...

hey girl

looks like you had a great time. too bad you can't come here for supper at Vincios/Alfredos.

that is neat about your uncle. really cool history. i have never been to the alamo, but it is on my list of things to do some day.

hope your week is going well. i know you are winding down, but that means you are closer to come home, i mean weatherford!!!