A transfer student at SWOSU randomly found me and messaged me asking to be his friend. Long story short, I have been discussing God, faith, Jesus, etc. with him. Well, let me tell the long story in a quick way! I replied to him, saying that I wasn't at SWOSU anymore, but he should try the Baptist Collegiate Ministries to meet some people. He replied back that he wasn't religious anymore, but he would think about it. I told him that the reason I suggested it was because he put that he was a Baptist on his facebook page. I also told him that if he ever became interested in religion again that he should feel free to talk to me about it or whatever. I also have told him to talk to the director at the BCM if he had any questions. He wrote me back saying that he likes to explore all the religions, because he finds them interesting and he cannot see anything wrong with them. This has been going on for the past week now. I didn't reply to his last message because I didn't know how to go about it.
Then tonight I received to messages from him. The first one said that he went to the progressive dinner at the BCM and he had a good time. He said that he actually felt safe there and he hasn't had that feeling in a long time due to his abusive father. And he thanked me for suggesting it! In his second message he asked me if I thought that God might enjoy making people's lives miserable. I can't even fathom thinking that! I answered him by saying that God is good. He can't be sinister. I put the verse Jeremiah 31:3 in which talks about how God is kind and loving. I went on to say that it is Satan that enjoys making us miserable, and he gets pleasure out of it. Then, I really emphasized talking to the director of the BCM because he would be able to explain better than I.
Here is where I need some advice. He wrote back saying that he doesn't understand how going to church every Sunday equals an automatic ticket to heaven. He tries to live a good life, one that would please God, so why doesn't he get to go to heaven. How do I tell him that church and good works do not equal heaven, but only believing that Jesus is Lord does in a nice way. When I was going to first reply, I wrote it out and it just seemed too harsh. Almost like I was chastising him. So, instead, I am writing this and I am going to wait to answer until I can come up with a good answer.
I know that he is really looking and wanting, and I want to be there and help him come to the Lord. Sometimes in this conversation, I feel like I have gotten myself in way over my head. The truth is I know that the Lord is using me just by looking at this whole situation from the outside. Normally, I would not have responded to his initial message. Also, this conversation has gotten to be very deep which is something that I have never experienced. Maybe I should just be blunt like Paul, or should I slowly work my way to the TRUTH? This should be an easy task, that is our purpose here on earth. So, I could use prayer and advice on how to word my response!
Thanks!
Meredith
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am thinking, I will get back to you. You have done great so far!
Momma A
Ok, after long thought and mulling this is my answer in a nut shell.
Does parking in a garage make you
a BMW or Jaguar? No, going to church doesn't make you a christian. Sounds to me like he is playing the game because he doesn’t want a commitment to Christ to interfere with what else he might be doing.
I think you should feel tell him about the grace aspect of our
relationship with God. Grace is God's unmerited favor. We get what we don't deserve.
You don't have a critical spirit and I think he feels that.
Also, the accepting "safe" atmosphere he sensed with the BCM group should be a strong hint to him. HE really needs to talk to Ron or Matt. Matt is one of my adopted kids from years ago. He would be a great person for him to talk too and more his age if you think that is an issue. Not so much a father figure since he seems to have those issues as well.
Your the best my dear Meredith. We miss you like crazy and can't wait until Christmas when you come through for Brandi's wedding!!!!
Cindi
Post a Comment