Saturday, February 23, 2008

Hello! This week has flown by so quickly! Thank goodness! Right now I am taking part in a 30 hour famine with other students at the Baptist Student Ministry. Not to worry, I have been eating about 15 carbs every 3 hours. Just enough to live on! The famine started at noon yesterday and will last until 6 pm tonight. We are doing it through World Vision, to help world hunger. Each hour represents one day. I have never fasted before and I didn't know what to expect of it. I will say that the main reason I did this was to fellowship with the other members of the BSM. I am trying to change myself including my how outgoing I am, so joining up was the alterior motive. I am actually at the BSM right now. I have been here since 2pm yesterday. I am in a corner "studying", but I am really writing this, and I am kind of nervous that someone might come up and see me writing. There are only a few people who know about my blog, but I have a lot to say, so I am going to write.

So far, the famine has been a pretty cool experience. There are probably 12 or so people here right now, all college students, and we are just having fellowship. Every hour we stop whatever we are doing and we read a Psalm, pray, talk, sing, basically just worship. The main thing that was going through my head is how it is so awesome that we can get together and worship our Amazing God. It's awesome how we are voluntarily doing this, and how we have so much joy together. (I have been praying for joy in my life, also). This thought entered my mind on Thursday during the BSM's Bible Study. We have such a small group in attendance compared to SWOSU's BCM, but I feel that Kingsville's people are so much more real and genuine. Every single person has such a passion for God.

Back to the famine, we stop each hour and worship, and usually I would find this an inconvenience. Like, why can't it be every 2 hours? Stuff like that. I would also wnat it to be short and sweet: Read a Psalm, pray, close. It's been different this weekend. We've been praising God for 30 minutes to an hour and a half each time. It's been pretty cool. We had a lockdown at 11:30 pm and it lasted until 5:00 am for safety reasons. We watched Muppet Treasure Island around that time last night, and I fell asleep during the end. The girls had to move to a back room to sleep, and that was SO uncomfortable. I woke up at 7:30 with neck pains. I think God answered a prayer that I didn't exactly pray, but I had thought about. When I woke up this morning, there was only one other person up, and that was the person I like. I came out under the pretenses that I was going to read my Law book, but I really didn't want to read. We ended up talking, which was pretty cool. One thing I know about myself is that I do fine in one-on-one conversations, but get me in a bigger group, and I shut down.

I think that I have improved somewhat this weekend on becoming more outgoing. Not a whole lot, but some. Baby steps! OK, enough writing, because I am getting really tired. I should not be awake right now. It's almost nap time!

I will try to call you sometime this weekend! Take care!

1 comment:

Cindi said...

wow, what an awesome experience. i am glad you are taking part. i am so proud of you.

it was nice to hear your voice today. i am always afraid to call and bother you. especially on a saturday--you like to sleep in and you were up early. double wow!

i am glad you to talk to your friend. how was that? great conversation, i bet. if i can get some pics of brittni's "freind" i will send them to you. he is so cute, but so different than what i would expect from her.

let me know how the fast turns out. courtney and i did it one time here, but because of his diabetes, we fasted from tv. it was hard at first, but we learned a lot and i know i grew a lot closer to the Lord.

keep me posted on your weekend. how did the prayer walk go?